Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

On 8/23/11 4:34 PM, Livingood, Jason wrote:
> On 8/23/11 3:09 PM, "Fred Baker" <fred@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't discount the effect of the value of the dollar on hotel rates
>> as measured in US dollars.
>
> I suspect Fred is spot on -- current exchange rate fluctuation is
> undoubtedly a huge issue. I would speculate that most hotels would
> negotiate for payment in their local currency and that since the time of
> that agreement the US dollar has depreciated against most currencies
> (blame 'quantitative easing' I suppose).

Come on, folks, let's be honest: all-in-one conference hotels, and
hotels connected to conference centers, charge exorbitant amounts of
money for the convenience of sleeping in close proximity to the meeting
rooms. Thanks to tips from other cost-conscious IETFers, I was able to
find hotels costing $100 (IETF 81) and $170 (IETF 82) a night cheaper
than the official venue. Sure, I have to walk for five minutes to get
back and forth to the meeting rooms, but that seems like a small price
to pay. If you don't like the recommended hotels, vote with your feet.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/