Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:35:16AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:
> >
> > >How do folk feel about having asking for subject_prefix to be set on the
> > >IETF Discussion List (AKA this one!) - this will prefix mail sent to this
> > >list with something like "[Discussion]" or "[IETF]" or something [0].

> > The visual cue this convention provides is helpful and it's an extremely
> > widespread convention.

> maybe we should eat our own dog food as served in RFC 2919 or,
> to touch another popular issue, declare 2919 "Historic"?

The IETF list already inserts the all the proper list- headers:

  <mailto:ietf-request@xxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

It's all I need for sorting and, for that matter, I can trivially set up rules
to add the [ietf] or whatever tag myself if I prefer that. As others have
pointed out, we even have a standard for doing this stuff.

OTOH, I can also remove the [ietf] tag if the list starts putting it in there.
So count me as mildly disliking this proposal.

> -Peter

> PS: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00>

Pretty much agree with the points raised in this draft.

				Ned