Re: "6to4 damages the Internet" (was Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic (yet again))

In your letter dated Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:08:01 +0900 you wrote:
>Philip Homburg wrote:
>> I think the problem is that we don't know how to do 'proper' address
>> selection.
>
>I know and it's trivially easy.
>
>11 years ago in draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt, I wrote:
>
>   End systems (hosts) are end systems. To make the end to end principle
>   effectively work, the end systems must have all the available
>   knowledge to make decisions by the end systems themselves.
>
>   With regard to multihoming, when an end system want to communicate
>   with a multihomed end system, the end system must be able to select
>   most appropriate (based on the local information) destination address
>   of the multihomed end system.
>
>which means an end system should have a full routing table, IGP
>metrics in which tell the end system what is the best address of
>its multihomed peer. Full routing table should and can, of course,
>be small.

Even in the unlikely case that it would be feasible to give every host a
complete copy of the DFZ routing table... That still would leave a lot of
issues open...
1) End-to-end latency. Maybe some future generation BGP provides that, but
   that doesn't help now.
2) For 6to4, the use of anycase. You probably need a link-state routing
   protocol to allow a host to figure out which relays are going to be used on
   a give path.
3) Filters in firewalls. I'd love to see a routing protocol that reports the
   settings of all firewalls in the world :-)
4) Other performance metrics, like jitter, packets loss, etc.

Maybe you can do some experiments and report on how well your draft works for
deciding when to prefer a 6to4 address over IPv4.