Re: Confidentiality notices on email messages

On 14/Jul/11 03:48, John Levine wrote:
>>Yes, and perhaps disclaimers/confidentiality notices should be
>>standardized with their own MIME type to make automatic processing
>>easier so receivers of this kind of notice (mailing-list or other)
>>can respect the wishes of the sender.
>
> That respect would of course be demonstrated by rejecting or
> discarding the mail unread, to avoid any possibility that it could
> fall into the wrong hands.

Yes, with the possible exception of recipients deploying a Treacherous
Computing environment that includes checks against forwarding or
replying with non fair use quotations of confidential messages.

> PS: Perhaps I should propose a revised RFC 5617 adding dkim=confidential.

One can sign the "Sensitivity" header field defined by RFC 2156.  It
can have the values "Personal" / "Private" / "Company-Confidential".

However, I received some messages bearing a confidentiality notice but
missing this field entirely.  Even the TC system above could hardly
cope with such inconsistent settings.  Do notices still retain any
legal value in such cases?