RE: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic

Lorenzo,

You pose very reasonable questions.  I will try to reiterate them:

1)      What are the criteria for determining consensus? What makes you think that there was no consensus on 6-to-4-historic?

2)      What makes you think that the new draft is just as good?

3)      What makes you think that the new draft will do any better than 6-to-4-historic?

1)      Because we do not vote in the IETF, the process for determining consensus is squishy. A simple majority does not win the day. A few strongly held objections backed by even a scintilla of technical rational can increase the size of the super-majority required to declare consensus. While it was not clear that the IETF has achieved consensus regarding 6-to-4-historic, it also was not clear that the IETF had not achieved consensus.  In this case, we had a choice between spending cycles arguing about consensus, or finding a solution that everybody could live with.

2)      IMHO, the new draft will not be as good as 6-to-4-historic. However, it solves the operational problem by disabling 6-to-4 by default. That’s much better than nothing.

3)      I have been working behind the scenes with a few of those who objected to 6-to-4-historic. They didn’t object to the new draft. However, I invite those people to speak for themselves.

                                                                                                             Ron