Re: HOMENET working group proposal

james woodyatt wrote:

>                                     There is nothing about NAT or
> dynamic subscriber IP assignment that provides any mitigation
> whatsoever of the risks

I'm more than a little concerned by the message that you're sending
here.  European legislators have enacted a "E-Privacy Directive"
also dubbed "European Cookie Directive" in order to protect the
privacy of citizens, and you're suggesting here that the IETF
should actively subvert this legislation and similar ongoing
legislative initiatives in the US by assigning static IPv6
addresses to home DSL subscribers so that cookies are completely
obviated and everyone can be trivially tracked based on his
static IP-Address.  This means you want to make IPv6 addresses
and all communications with that address direct personally
identifiable information, something for which a "must informed
beforehand", let alone an "opt opt" is technically impossible?

james woodyatt wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2011, at 18:46 , Martin Rex wrote:
> >
> > And that [false police report incident] is really among
> > the mild unpleasant things...
>
> It's also not even remotely relevant.  Under the regime where that
> incident happened, it's not even news anymore when the police do
> that without any provocation at all.

That regime where this happened was the US.  So you're declaring
the entire US out-of-scope and the entire European Union out-of-scope?

I was under the impression we were talking about _the_Internet_
for which the IETF is usually producing standards and technology,
and seem to have confused this with your discussion about matters
of some other network somewhere, that happend to got redistributed
by the IETF mailing list exploder only by accident.

-Martin