Re: Last Call: <draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06.txt> (The 'about' URI scheme) to Proposed Standard

Hi Barry,

On 6/17/11 6:01 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
> Yes... I'm actually very confused about the point of this document.
> It's documenting a URI scheme that's used ONLY internally, and,
> therefore, has no interoperability requirements.

Indeed.  That's a good argument to stop right there.

>   As best I can tell,
> the issue here is to let browser makers know what other browsers do,
> so that maybe new browsers will decide to do the same things.  That's
> fine, and that helps users have a consistent experience across
> browsers.  But it strikes me as Informational, not Standards Track.
> MUSTs and MUST NOTs seem completely out of place here, to me.
It seems to me we could simply inform IANA that about: is reserved for
internal use by a browser, and not to be assigned for other purposes,
and not to be exchanged between hosts.  Do we really need an RFC to do that?

Eliot