Re: compromise on the 6to4->Historic debate

In message <19FB0BB1-9048-476A-A901-67F962A116B1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith M
oore writes:
> On Jun 8, 2011, at 11:35 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > Have broken 6to4 relays is *good* for the long term health of the
> > Internet.  Applications should cope well with one address of a
> > multi-homed server being unreachable.  Billions of dollars have
> > been wasted because this has not been seen as a basic requirement
> > for applications.  It really isn't any harder in most cases to do
> > this right.
>
> Not that I disagree with the idea that applications should be able to
> fail over from one address to another, but ... why do you assume that
> the server is multihomed?

Yes, that is a assumption which isn't always true but mostly is now.  It's
definitely true for the content providers complaining that 6to4 is stopping
them deploying IPv6.

> The problem with the broken 6to4 relay on an anycast address is that the
> application (or user, or site) doesn't get to choose a different relay.

The site can always pick a differnet relay as long as they know the IPv4
address of one.  There used to be lists of them.  The anycast address is
or should be just a convenience function.

I have suggested that ISP's could advertise 6to4 relay routers to customers
via DHCP draft-andrews-v6ops-6to4-router-option, this can also be used to
turn off 6to4 when it is known not to work (e.g. firewall, behind a NAT) or
there is working IPv6.

But rather than make the transition mechanism work there is this mind set
that 6to4 needs to be killed.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC