Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

--On Thursday, May 05, 2011 09:13 -0700 The IESG
<iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter
> to consider the following document:
> - 'Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels'
>   <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> as a BCP
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and
> solicits final comments on this action. Please send
> substantive comments to the ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by
> 2011-06-02.

Hi.

I made several comments about earlier versions of this document
then stopped because, while the incremental versions have all
included small improvements, they have addressed few of the
basic issues and the document seemed to be riding something of
a juggernaut.  Because it is now in Last Call, I want to
summarize and update those comments, in large measure because I
don't want my near-silence since late January to be taken as
agreement.

This proposal is problematic in several ways.  The first is
obviously the most important, but the others suggest changes
that might be useful whether or not that main provision is
adopted.

(1) Excessively-high requirements for Proposed Standard and
dropping the three-level model.

	The document asserts, I believe correctly, that one of the
	problems with the IETF Standards Process is that the
	relatively low bar established for Proposed Standards in
	RFC 2026 has evolved into a very high bar and that we
	should return to that lower requirement level.  Yet it
	effectively proposed to solve that problem by reducing the
	number of steps in the standards process to two.  No
	evidence has been offered that whether or not the standards
	process is two levels or three has anything to do with
	difficulties completing Proposed Standards or getting them
	to a satisfactory level of completeness and correctness.
	The logic on that subject in the document appears to me to
	quite similar to a physician saying "We agree there is a
	problem with your hand.  We don't know how to treat it
	either surgically or medically, but we should do something,
	so let's amputate your foot".  That really makes no sense
	and is probably bad for the patient (only probably... one
	really never knows).

	In addition, draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06 does not
	discuss any mechanism for getting from the current
	as-practiced requirements for Proposed Standard back to the
	requirements of RFC 2026, a schedule for doing so, nor
	whether it is necessary to warn readers about the level of
	scrutiny applied (it may not be, but there has been little
	or no discussion of that subject in the IETF and there is
	no such discussion in the document).  If this were a
	technical specification, unless there were an expectation
	that a transition will occur immediately and by magic, that
	omission would be a "known defect".

	Suggestion: The level of completeness and quality required
	for a Proposed Standard, at least insofar as those
	requirements exceed the requirements in RFC 2026, are
	entirely in the hands of the IESG, relevant WGs, and the
	Last Call process.  Whether those requirements can be
	reduced to the level required by 2026 has nothing to do
	with this document because there is no change to the 2026
	requirements.  If we are serious about making that change,
	I recommend that the IESG:

        (i) Put this document aside temporarily
        (ii) Announce to the community (presumably via an IESG
            statement) that, as a general matter, documents
			submitted for Proposed Standard will not be
			required to meet conditions beyond those imposed
			by 2026.  Note that 2026 allows imposition of
			additional requirements, especially requirements
			for implementation experience.  Whether a
			particular WG should strive for a higher quality
			standard for its documents should be treated as a
			management issue (e.g., it would rarely make sense
			to downgrade documents that were nearly finished
			at a higher level), but reviews on Last Call or
			from within the IESG that suggest a higher level
			of perfection should probably be ignored unless
			they provide reasoning for the greater requirement.
        (iii) The above implies that different areas, and
			perhaps even different WGs within an area, will end
			up with different practical requirements based, at
			least in part, on their perception of the risks
			implied by a less comprehensive document.  I see
			that as an advantage and recognition of reality,
			not a problem.
		(iv) After a couple of years -- probably the minimum
		    needed to achieve a steady state given documents
		    already under development and targeting a greater
			level of requirements than 2026 anticipated -- the
			IESG should review the situation and make a
			recommendation to the community as to whether
			further changes are needed to the standards process
			based on experience with this revised way of
			dealing with proposed standards.

	Note that the model described above is different from the
	one in draft-bradner-restore-proposed-00, especially with
	regard to schedule.  draft-bradner-restore-proposed-00
	suggests a fixed transition schedule; these notes propose
	to make transition a management matter (and, indirectly, a
	test of the IESG's seriousness about restoring the intended
	Proposed Standard definition); as noted above,
	draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06 does not address this
	issue.  After a few months of consideration, I now believe
	that "management matter" approach provides both a better
	transition plan and long-term framework than trying to
	force documents into a single level of completeness and
	scrutiny.  The other comments and suggestions in
	draft-bradner-restore-proposed-00 could be considered
	useful supplements to the suggestions above.

(2) Elimination of the "downref" requirement for
standards-track documents.

    The original motivation for the "no normative references to
	documents at lower maturity levels" rule was to be sure
	that the documents referenced were of adequate quality to
	be used, effectively, as part of the document under
	consideration.  If one thinks about it, having a document
	that the IETF certifies as representing an implemented,
	deployed, and useful specification dependent on something
	that is no more that an untested probably-good idea makes
	little or no sense.  Referencing Proposed Standards that
	have survived the level of scrutiny that has prevailed in
	the last several years should not be nearly as
	problematic, but removing the downreferencing requirement
	at precisely the same time that we intend to get Proposed
	Standards back to the 2026 level creates exactly the risk
	that the rule was intended to prevent.

	Suggestion: The community had this almost correct in RFC
	4897 in that the community should be able to review
	proposed downward references.  RFC 4897 more or less
	assumes that the review should require explicit community
	review and signoff.  That might be excessive; a more or
	less default review might be sufficient.  But we should
	preserve the community's ability to conclude that a
	downreferenced document is inadequate for the purposes of
	the referencing document, if only through a Last Call
	response.  The change made in
	draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06 appears to eliminate
	"the referenced specification is of inadequate quality to
	be used as part of this specification in a normative
	reference".  It seems to me that is a bad idea and probably
	even an unintended side-effect.

	Note that this suggestion should be as effective at
	eliminating downward references as a "major cause of
	stagnation in the advancement of documents" as the proposal
	in draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06 if, in fact, that
	is a major issue.

(3) Maturity level, document editorial quality, and RFC Editor
issues

	The rather cavalier assumption that a three-stage standards
	process somehow makes it less possible to apply the
	Proposed Standard criterion of RFC 2026 omits another
	important reason why the bar for Proposed Standards has
	become so high.  It would be a reasonable (and arguably
	historically accurate) statement of the traditional
	editorial quality requirement for Proposed Standard
	documents is that they needed to be good enough to be used
	for implementation among cooperating parties, i.e., clear
	enough that an implementer with access to WG mailing lists
	(or authors) could implement them and evaluate document
	quality for implementation.  Perfect English writing style
	was not a requirement, nor was sufficient clarity that one
	was assured of being able to do an interoperable
	implementation in a "clean-room" environment relative to
	the authors and discussions about development of the spec.
	Viewed from the editorial quality perspective, the Draft
	Standard level was the one at which document quality was
	expected to be improved to meet those much higher standards
	of editorial quality and technical completeness and
	clarity.  RFC 2026 requires "no known omissions" for
	Proposed Standard, not "no omissions" or strong assertions
	of completeness.

	One of the significant obstructions to getting Proposed
	Standard documents published quickly is that the IESG has
	insisted on a rather high level of technical quality,
	usually doing the editing itself rather than trusting the
	RFC Editor staff to get that right.  WGs and the community
	have responded to the expectation of IESG insisting on
	documents of very high editorial quality (and sometimes the
	expectations that documents will never advance beyond
	Proposed Standard) by nit-picking editorial quality
	internally and on IETF Last Call, creating additional
	delays.  If we are going to get Proposed Standards
	published more quickly and under 2026 criteria, the IESG
	will need to do some self-examination about these editorial
	document quality issues and perhaps either settle for lower
	quality at Proposed, shift more of the editorial burden to
	the RFC Editor, or both.  In any case, if documents are to
	be less than editorially perfect at the Proposed Standard
	level, there needs to be provision, or at least an
	understanding, for assuring that documents meet a higher
	standard at subsequent maturity levels.  Those provisions
	are absent from draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06, as is
	even a statement of the possibility that they might be
	relevant...  another "known omission".

	Note that accepting a less formal, and less
	formally-correct, editorial style is consistent with
	publishing "Proposed Standards as soon as rough consensus
	is achieved".  Spending weeks or months sorting out
	editorial issues is not.

	In addition to the above, Long-duration MISSREF entries in
	the RFC Editor queue are a major source of the claim that
	downward referencing requirements are a significant
	impediment to advancement of documents.  However, if those
	entries are examined, a significant fraction of them are
	actually either missing references pointing to I-Ds (for
	which the present proposal provides no help at all) or a
	mechanism for identifying a set of documents that have to
	be published together to make sense.  As long as we
	periodically approve and publish a single logical standard
	as a collection of documents that may go through a WG or
	the IESG at different rates, there will be a need to hold
	the first-approved of those documents until the
	last-approved one is ready.
	draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06 does not make
	provision for whatever additional RFC Editor states are
	needed in the IETF Stream to cover that problem.  While not
	major, it is another sign that, if the present proposal
	were being evaluated as a technical specification, it would
	be found to contain known omissions.

(4) Discussion of the STD document series in Section 6.

	It has been pointed out several times, in recent months to
	suppress discussion of proposals that might be alternates
	to some or all of this one, that there are many issues with
	how the IETF develops, approves, documents, and manages
	standards that are not addressed in this specification and
	that the community cannot reasonable expect to address all
	at the same time.  The question of what should be done
	about the STD numbers is just one entry on this very long
	list.  Examination of other IETF procedural RFCs indicates
	that we rarely, if ever, include a discussion of a single
	option that we have decided to _not_ pursue (even if only
	in the near term).  The only apparent justification for
	including Section 6 in this draft is that there was a
	specific proposal in an earlier version, a proposal that,
	as the draft indicates, did not get community consensus.
	The section should be dropped from this document before
	publication.  If the community wants to have a series
	discussion of STD numbers, I suggest that
	draft-klensin-std-numbers might be one contribution to that
	discussion.

(5) Patents

    The specification says (last bullet in Section 2):

    > * If patented or otherwise controlled technology is
	>   required for implementation, the separate
	>   implementations must also have resulted from separate
	>   exercise of the licensing process.

	While this text is copied from 2026, things have changed
	and the requirement has been interpreted very loosely,
	particularly to leave interpretation of "required" in the
	hands of the implementers.

	If it is repeated in a spec that is approved now and that
	claims to reset and clarify Draft Standard requirements, it
	can easily be read as a requirement that the community has
	to somehow evaluate whether claimed controlled technology
	is actually "required for implementation".  That may be
	obvious in some cases; it may be highly controversial and
	dependent of validity of patent claims (something that can
	normally be resolved only by the courts) in others.  The
	IETF has been repeatedly advised, both by legal counsel and
	by various incarnations of IPR WGs, to avoid straying into
	the territory in which it takes a position on whether an
	IPR claim is valid.  Consider a scenario in which some
	company, say ChuckCo, decides that an IETF Internet
	Standard for Alice's proposal would put them at a
	competitive disadvantage.  It is merely necessary for
	ChuckCo to file an IPR claim against the technology in
	Alice's spec, even a obviously spurious one, assert a
	completely irrational and punitive licensing model that
	cannot be exercised in a reasonable way, and then sit back
	and watch the IETF paralyze itself over this provision as
	written.

	Suggestion: I believe that advice of Counsel should be
	sought about this language and, if feasible, alternate
	language produced that either turns the requirement into an
	"if feasible" request or that places the responsibility for
	evaluating whether the claims are applicable on the
	implementers and not on the IETF or IESG.

Conclusion:

	This document is not ready for approval.  It is justified
	in terms of one issue but offers no evidence that it will
	help at all with that issue and instead proposes a solution
	that is associated with another set of issue that may not
	be critical-path.  For that primary issue (speeding
	documents into Proposed Stanard), it fails to address known
	issues and, more important, is not required at all.  While
	"no known omissions" is not formally a requirement for IETF
	procedural documents to be published in the BCP series, it
	is nonetheless a useful guideline and this document does
	contain such omissions in several areas.  It removes an
	important criterion for evaluating document readiness for
	publication when the document depends on other
	specifications that are unclear or worse.  It makes no
	provision for transition.  It contains spurious and
	almost-irrelevant text.  And it potentially opens an IPR
	can of worms that the IETF has been warned against.

thanks for listening
   john