Re: [v6ops] Review of: draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-03

On May 16, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 5/16/2011 5:27 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>>> For the terms in this doc, alternatives that do not require explanation
>>> (and aren't potentially racially charged) include "permit list" and "deny
>>> list".
>>
>> the blacklist originates with charles the 2nd. it has no racial connotations
>> in that context.
>>
>> see also the death of cromwell and the resortation.
>

> 1. Changing times often call for changed vocabulary.

which is fine, the rational stated is false to fact.

> 2. The "established" label is semantically wrong, since the construct of white/black for lists refers to priviledge or goodness.  Which is "good", v6 or v4?  The answer is completely arbitrary and, therefore, renders the term neither intuitive not really appropriate.

> 3. When the IETF processes work with a history, it often changes labels.
>
> 4. And let's not forget the name conflict with anti-spam DNS-based whitelists. (It's probably close enough to qualify as trademark infringement if this were a trademark case)

Really? I can find numerous examples of whitelisting that don't involve spam.

> How much longer does this list need to be to justify choosing better labels for this v6 dual-stack transition hack?

returning different sets of resource records on the basis of the orgin of a query ala split horizon is not exactly new ground.

By my observation, what is being done, satisfactorily
meets the dictionary definition of a whitelist. the term was uncontroversial in the dicussion leading up to the wglc. If it's really inapropiate that's cool but I'm frankly not convinced.