Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

Hello again,

Now as for the document itself.  I really appreciate its purpose; encouraging Proposed-Standards-writers to advance their document replacing 3-tier system to 2-tier one is a good idea.  However, in fact, this proposal in its current view really can't work effectively because of:

   Any protocol or service that is currently at the abandoned Draft
   Standard maturity level will retain that classification, absent
   explicit actions.
In this case, as Brian Carpenter said during discussions of previous versions of this document, "unless we have a firm sunset date, the job will never be finished and in fifty years there will still be DS documents." (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg65870.html)  Considered this, removal of the sunset period is probably harmful; as nobody cared about progressing their DSs (see my previous message), they will continue to do this.
Two possible actions are available:

   (1) A Draft Standard may be reclassified as an Internet Standard as
       soon as the criteria in Section 2.2 are satisfied.  This
[ . . . ]

   (2) At any time after two years from the approval of this document as
       a BCP, the IESG may choose to reclassify any Draft Standard
       document as Proposed Standard.
A reasonable question: whether such action won't be available after 2 years?  Anyway, leaving the situation with DSs "as is" won't result in something useful.  As proposed before, 2-year sunset period is OK; if nobody undertakes any steps to advance their DS to FS during these 2 years, such DS is reclassified to PS.

Another issue is removing the requirement for implementation reports.  This must really result in low quality of FSs.  As Bernold Adoba mentioned before,

Today it is quite common within WGs to see conflicting claims about protocol implementations and
interoperability.   IMHO one of the critical purposes served by implementation reports is to require proponents
to "produce the evidence" backing their claims.   The above paragraph left me wondering what the
"burden of proof" would be in practice.   For example, I would not want to see the IESG put in the
position of adjudicating "he said, she said" arguments made during Last Call.
I fully agree with the last sentence; implementation reports serve as some documentary justification of existing of implementations that suit all requirements of the spec.

The following requirement for FSs seems unclear:

* If patented or otherwise controlled technology is required for
        implementation, the separate implementations must also have
        resulted from separate exercise of the licensing process.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding smth., but this is not a requirement but rather just statement.  This introduces new difficulties to advancing PSs to FSs; this hard-to-understand demand will mislead almost everybody, I think.

Also, the minimum period for existing on Standards Track of 6 month is not really sufficient to fulfill the following requirement:

* There are a significant number of implementations with
        successful operational experience.
Some words on STD numbers as well.  Their initial purpose was to provide clear reference point to FSs; RFC 1796 encouraged their use to distinguish Standards from other RFCs.  However, the experience showed that they doesn't work (or work partly).  The well-known problem is what to do with STD number when FSs is recycled to PS.  Some recent proposals, such as written by John Klensin (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-std-numbers-01) proposed assignment of STD numbers to all Standards Track RFCs, including PSs.  This, even solving aforementioned problem, decreases the usefulness of STD numbers; but now we are not speaking about that proposal.  Russ' document leaves this question open; I think it shouldn't.  I really think STD numbers should be abandoned; they just make a mess into the Standards Track.  Another proposal should be to put some identifier of maturity level in the STD number, assigning one for all documents moving through the Standards Track system, ie. STD P-xx, STD D-xx and STD xx (for FSs), where xx is assigned to PSs only while all its successors retain it; but I don't think such proposal will ever be adopted.

Removal of requirement for annual reviews of PSs is a good deed, since nobody really suited to it after NEWTRK WG effort, except rare cases.

There are also some minor defects in this draft, concerning Section 4 mostly; I don't want to mention them now.

So, taking everything into account, I wouldn't like to see this document approved as BCP.  Having a good idea, its realization isn't as good.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev