Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipcore-199-05.txt> (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Response Code for Indication of Terminated Dialog) to Proposed Standard

I was somewhat surprised to see this back in LC. I am still not aware of any use case where this actually helps. I searched the IETF and WG lists for email with the subject draft-ietf-sipcore-199 and I do not see a single email that suggests there is support for this draft or the changes in it since the previous LC.

This draft has no use that I understand how it helps - it is at best a very limited optimization. The SIP standards is already too complicated with too many extensions. I believe this draft makes SIP worse.Thought the draft mandates that systems need to work even when the 199 are lost, I do not think that is how the proponents of the work intent to use. I could be very wrong but I presume that people intent to use to control middle boxes that control media gates. It's broken for that but given that is not discussed in the draft, it's hard to discuss how it is broken and what would be needed to fix it.

I do not support publishing this draft as standards track without actual WG discussion on what the problem is this draft solves and if there is WG consensus that problem is worth solving.