Re: TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-02

On 02/02/2011 02:38 p.m., Joe Touch wrote:

>>> ?INT? This section is, IMO, odd; IP address never meant physical
>>> location anyway, and tunnels obviate that meaning regardless of the
>>> impact of NATs or other sharing techniques.
>>
>> Agreed. But geo-location is nevertheless widely used for marketing
>> purposes.
>
> Agreed, but whether it works now is arbitrary; it's not a design
> consideration of the protocols.

Well, the protocols were not designed for production networks, either.
FWIW, geo-location is currently used, and it would be affected by
increased used of NATs.

> At the least, it's worth noting that geolocation is already broken by
> tunnels, and that IP addressing does not ensure geographic proximity
> before attributing breakage on NATs or other sharing.

Tunnels need not break geo-location. -- They do not masquerade the
source address. Or am I missing something?

And, FWIW, I agree that usually lots of breakage is attributed to NATs,
where the brokeness is really somewhere else (e.g., app protocols
passing IP addresses).

>>> There are data injection attacks that are possible even without knowing
>>> the exact SN.
>>
>> draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-security may be of use here.
>
> rfc5961 is already published and describes the issue in specific, and
> may be more useful as a reference for this.

I disagree. It discusses only TCP-based attacks (there are many other
vectors). If you want an alternative "published" reference, here it is:
http://www.cpni.gov.uk/Docs/tn-03-09-security-assessment-TCP.pdf

However, it's up to the authors to include this or other references -- I
just noted the tcp assessment doc for completeness sake.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxx