Re: Last Call on draft-ietf-pim-registry-03.txt

Hi,

On 2011-1-13, at 22:43, Michelle Cotton wrote:
> Many believe it makes it very clear to the users of the registry what is
> available for assignment.  Something we will be rolling out soon (for those
> registries with a finite space) will be small charts showing how much of the
> registry space is unassigned, assigned and reserved (utilizing the
> unassigned entries).

I mentioned in the past that the term "unassigned" to me at least doesn't make it sufficiently clear that IANA assignment is often needed before codepoints may be taken into use. We have several cases (the many different squats on TCP option numbers, for example) were people pick unassigned codepoints during development and only later realize that they should have registered them.

If you want to explicitly list unassigned codepoints in the registries, I'm wondering if we can find a short phrase that makes it more clear that an IANA action is normally required - maybe "available for IANA assignment"?

Lars