Re: BCP request: WiFi at High-Tech Meetings

On 1/4/11 8:07 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>> It could be the 11a support.
>>
>> Or it might well be the vendor that supplies the 11a equipment.
>>
>> At home I have a box with 7 defunct WiFi routers that I discarded
>> after they started to fail. Specifically the wireless side of the
>> router would stop functioning or require rebooting every 24 hours
>> or so to keep functioning.
>>
>> Then three years ago I mentioned the problem on this list and
>> bought an AirPort Extreme on the advice of several people.
>>
>> It has now been running for three years without issue.
>>

>> I do notice that a significant proportion of laptops used at IETFs
>> are produced by one specific vendor. And lets face it, we are the
>> type of audience that is quite willing to pay two to three times
>> the minimum for a laptop.

There's also sorts of interesting ways to calculate net-present value,
of a given business tool. Someone who uses a given computer 16 hours a
day may have slightly different priorities than someone who uses it for
2 or 4.

in the specific case of wireless 802.11a just isn't very common in $300
laptops and netbooks, yet it's invaluable in an environment that we're
in at least three times a year so it's trivial to justify the $20-50
retail hit associated with a high-end wireless chipset.