Re: New Year's Exploration: Changing the Internet's Infrastructure

Richard L. Barnes <rbarnes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ISTM that the success of changes to the infrastructure depends on the
> value those changes deliver to participants in the Internet economy...
> So the question is rather how many problems there are in the current
> infrastructure that cause people enough pain to do something.

   Indeed -- _an_ interesting question... but perhaps not phrased quite
right: in truth, there are an arbitrarily large number of problems that
cause _somebody_ enough pain to do something.

> I think there are at least a couple (improving BGP security, for
> example), and the number will probably slowly shrink over time,
> but in the long run, I expect there will ultimately always be a few
> big things that need to be done that can't be done in end systems.

   Start from the end: there _will_ be a number of things that shouldn't
be done in end systems. End systems _really_don't_ want to worry about
the route packets follow -- at most they want to worry about delay,
jitter, and order of delivery. But they _will_ work with whatever tools
are available to ameliorate such worries.

   The number of problems will most surely _increase_ over time, not
shrink.

   BGP security is a _dreadful_ example. It conflates weaknesses of the
original design with issues entirely out-of-scope of the original design.
And the original design was seriously flawed by defining algorithms
instead of meanings.

   Nonetheless, the example does serve to illustrate a weakness of IETF
process -- that it's much easier to get traction on small fixes to
parts of the problem than on migration to a design which avoids the
problems.

   BTW, I find it interesting to see how little of the work originating
in the Security area has gained traction. I wonder to what extent this
results from:

- cycles being expended on cross-area reviews;

- recommending IPsec whether or not it could be deployed for the use;

- the inherent complexity of key infrastructure?

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>