Re: Wikipedia

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:03:57PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Actually, as someone pointed out, in some sense dated URLs to Wikipedia pages
> are in fact _superior_ to most other Web URL references, because in Wikipedia
> you can go back into the history and see just what the page looked like when
> the author visited it.

Yes, but you can only do that if (1) the author uses the
particular-version URL or (2) the author includes a visited-on note in
the citation.  It's lovely, however, that in wiki-based systems you do
have this ablity, and I agree that it'd be nice to encourage its use.

(Now I'm going to crawl back into my bibliographic maniac's hole and
stop talking about this.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.