Re: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-ssl2-must-not-03.txt>

On 12/3/10 2:58 PM, Martin Rex wrote:
Glen Zorn wrote:

Martin Rex wrote:

Glen Zorn wrote:

Maybe I just don't understand the word "use".  It seems like if a
server accepts a protocol message it's using the protocol...

With "negotiate" I meant returning a ServerHello handshake message with
that version number (neither an SSL 2.0 SERVER-HELLO, nor an SSLv3
ServerHello with a server version of { 0x02,0x00 }).

With "use" I meant to successfully complete the handshake and start
exchanging application data protected under protocol version
{0x02,0x00}.

Maybe you could spell these things out in the draft just as you have above?

I'm sorry, my explanations were misleading.  I explained what I meant
when I wrote these statements that ended up in the document.

   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg07091.html

The author/editor of this I-D is Sean Turner.

I've got no problem with providing additional clarifying text. How about we add the following (some minor tweaks to what you suggested) to explain what we mean by use and negotiate (send seems clear):

"negotiate" means returning a ServerHello handshake message with that version number (neither an SSL 2.0 SERVER-HELLO, nor an SSLv3 ServerHello with a server version of { 0x02,0x00 }).

"use" means to successfully complete the handshake and start exchanging application data protected under protocol version {0x02,0x00}.

spt