Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-07.txt

On 11/18/2010 04:51, RJ Atkinson wrote:
   Excessive nit-picking is going on with this document, especially
since it is already globally deployed and clearly works well.
Further, there are multiple interoperable implementations already
deployed, which is an existence proof that the current I-D is
sufficient.  This I-D is quite different from most documents heading
to Proposed Standard, because for most I-Ds interoperability hasn't been
shown and operational utility in the deployed world hasn't been shown.

I'm confused. If the standard is already deployed, then what is the rush to publish the RFC?

That said, I'm reasonably supportive of the draft moving forward, here are a few nits:

1. In Section 4.1, 4th full paragraph, the bit, " (because of the limitations of the typing-based user interfaces of that era)" should be stricken. It does not add value to the clarity of the text, nor would arguing about whether it's correct or not.

2. In that same paragraph, shortly after the above, "from a list of choices presented on the screen ..." should be something similar to "from a list of choices presented by the user interface ..." One could also argue that the "not intended to ever by typed in" should be replaced with the appropriate 2119 language.

3. In Section 7, 3rd full paragraph, it says, "conforming to normal DNS host name rules: Only lower-case letters ..." The "normal DNS host name rules" [citation required] do not permit only lower case letters. I do think however that it would be ok to spell out that this protocol requires that, like what was done with disallowing names without an alphabetic. Note, this is not nitpicking. Often (especially in DNS) we see examples of things that people believe to be true printed as fact in new RFCs, which lead more people to believe that they are true. Getting it right the first time has value.

4. I'm not sure Section 15.2 needs to be in the document at all, although I am not formally opposed to its inclusion.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go