Re: [Full-disclosure] IPv6 security myths

Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

>> Do you know some major application over the Internet using IPsec
>> with transport mode?
>
> Yes: SIP.  SIP/UDP over IPsec in transport mode on the Internet
> is not uncommon.  Arguably more common than SIP over TLS,
> anyway... though that's expected to change. (and of course SIP
> over IPsec or TLS are both noise compared with plain SIP over UDP)

Yes, IPv6 deployment also is expected to change.

> Also, Femtocells running various protocols typically use IPsec
> over the Internet, though in tunnel mode I believe - but one
> wouldn't think of it as being a "VPN" in the traditional sense.

It's a traditional VPN to encrypt data to/from mobile terminals
in femtocells by femtocell stations.

In the same VPN, protocols to control the stations may also be
carried, which does not make the VPN not traditional.

> Oh, and I believe storage/SAN (FCIP, iFCP, iSCSI) use IPsec over
> the Internet; or at least the IPsec chip vendors seem to focus
> on those markets a lot.  Though again in tunnel mode I think,
> but not a classic "VPN" use.

Are you saying the SAN is a part of the public Internet?

> The Internet is big and diverse - not everything is HTTP and DNS. ;)

So?

						Masataka Ohta