Re: what is the problem? (was Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

I think that many of us already know the problem(s) we want to solve here and have done since before NEWTRK was chartered.

The core problem in my view is that the current IETF process is not and cannot be understood by non-participants because the theory is not and has never been followed.

As a result participants in the IETF have to explain to management funding their participation that they have to expect and accept results from IETF process that fall short of their expectations. The IETF presents itself as a standards body but has announced no current standards documents of any consequence other than port assignments, IPv6 and the URI document under the present process). The SNMPv2 documents do not count as they are obsolete as are the vast majority of STD status specifications.

I don't think it is a case of the incentives for advancement to standard being too small. I think that the underlying problem is that the three stage process has moved down one rung so that the practical requirements for PROPOSED are what were originally expected of DRAFT and the practical requirements for DRAFT far exceed those met by any of the official standards.

The only cases where a three step process is really necessary are cases where there is a need for experimental deployment prior to commencing standards track activity. We now use INFORMATIONAL and EXPERIMENTAL for these purposes.

So for the problems:

1, 2 and 3 are all problems

Causes

X) None of the above. The cause is that the IETF is totally uninterested in process. The three stage process suggests that the institution suffers from a fear of commitment.

Action

We should adopt Russ's proposal: Axe the DRAFT status and automatically promote all DRAFT status documents to STANDARD status. This can be done formally by changing the process or the IESG can just agree to a convention where every DRAFT standard is automatically promoted.

Incidentally, there is plenty of precedent for three step processes failing in this manner. The UK parliament nominally runs on a three stage process in which a bill is read and voted on three times. In practice the first reading of a bill has been pro-forma for the past few centuries, although the emergence of the committee stage means that there are still three substantive steps.

The Internet is now a large place with two billion users. Any institution that wants to be influential in shaping the future of the Internet has to be willing to commit to the proposals it is making. The current process represents an abdication of will and a failure of commitment. It should be corrected as a matter of urgency.