Re: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

Lawrence Conroy wrote:

> Everyone MOSTLY calls from a small contact list, and the same holds for the
> group of people who call them. The goal is to support them when they don't.
> I don't know how long a phone number in Marrakech should be. Rather than
> place an International call to find out I've missed a digit, I would like
> a scheme to help me, ideally before I even get into the voice application.
> I guess I could use google, but that is too Web 2.0 for my taste or patience.
>
> As for overlap signalling being obsolete -- it depends on your definition.
> I'm pretty sure every equipment provider would be VERY happy if big Telcos
> removed the requirement, and the requirement to continue to support it for
> years. EnBloc dialling has definite benefits, but until landlines ALL go
> away we're stuck with digit-by-digit dialling.

I fail to understand where the really big problem is with dialing.

Privately and at home I'm using either mobile or DECT, and in both
cases I type the number in its entirety before "picking up", simply
because I can edit typos without having to start over.

All of the DMTF-capable phone should have a "#" button, and when
doing navigation in voicemail systems and pre-paid account loading
one often needs to use that button already.

Covering the legacy dialing with a time-out should IMHO be sufficient
to maintain support for *old* equiment and also provide a slight
motivation for end users to upgrade if they don't like pressing "#"
or waiting for the timeout before the connection is established.

Probing each time when a new digit arrives does not seem reasonable to me.

-Martin