Re: Abandoning draft-ietf-simple-interdomain-scaling-analysis

On 9/29/10 7:57 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> On 29/09/10 14:46, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> the following draft was IETF LCed in July 2009.
>>
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-simple-interdomain-scaling-analysis/
>>
>> At this point, there does not seem to be interest in progressing this
>> draft within the SIMPLE WG any longer (this issue has been discussed on
>> the SIMPLE list recently). Therefore, I intend to move this draft to the
>> "dead" state in the ID tracker shortly. If you have any comments, please
>> let me know.
>
> Just wondering why (I don't recall the result of the IETF LC) but I
> thought this was a useful document. (Assuming the figures are
> reasonably accurate, which I don't know.)

The SIMPLE WG had some discussion about raising the I-D up a level so
that it would talk about more general issues with scaling of presence
systems (instead of only SIP-based systems) and their impact on the
broader Internet. That discussion was motivated in part by the existence
of non-SIP-based presence technologies, as well as a document that I was
working on in parallel with the above-referenced I-D:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-xmpp-presence-analysis

Avshalom Houri and I had some productive discussions about how to pursue
that higher-level approach and we still think it would be good to write
such a document, but (1) IIRC the SIMPLE WG didn't think it was worth
devoting energy to that effort and (2) Avshalom and I didn't have the
cycles to work on it.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre