Re: US DoD and IPv6

On 2010-09-28 13:59, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>> So, I came across a interesting recent (June 24, 2010) article on the US
>> DoD's news site (http://www.defense.gov/news/), which quote Kris Strance,
>> "the chief of internet protocol for the [Dod]", as saying:
>>
>>  "{the DoD} philosophy is one that when a component has a mission need or a
>>  business case to move to IPv6, then they can do that ... It's driven by
>>  their need rather than an overall [Department of Defense] mandate."
>>
>> (The complete article is at: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=59780
>>
>> This seems a significant change in course from that given in the "Internet
>> Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Interim Transition Guidance" of September 29, 2003,
>> which said that:
>>
>>  "the DoD has established the goal of transitioning all DoD networking to
>>  the next generation of the Internet Protocol, IPv6, by fiscal year (FY)
>>  2008."
>>
>> The date slippage is not a big deal, I'm ignoring that. What is of more
>> interest is that it appears (from the news story) that there has been a
>> further* change of course on IPv6 adoption, from 'we _are_ going to
>> transition' to 'in cases where there is a monetary or operational case to
>> convert, it will happen, but otherwise not'.
>
> Does this surprise anyone with experience with the DOD ? It doesn't me.

It sound to me like a case for the phrase often used by my late colleague
Mervyn Hine at CERN, when the management performed a U-turn: "Aha! Reality has
broken in again."

The fact is that official mandates are not a very good reason for
upgrading systems. Running out of a resource is a much better one.
http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/

   Brian