Re: [Roll] Last Call: <draft-ietf-roll-rpl-11.txt> IPR Concern

I'm not closely involved with ROLL but I am working on devices using the CORE work that would likely make use of and depend on this protocol. I have some concerns about the practically of using ROLL given the IPR. My understanding of the IPR is that one would be required to use certificates that are from an CA license by Certicom.

My belief is that the many of the low cost devices that would want to implement ROLL would be based on Linux implementation as that has become one of the most widely used operating systems for low cost networking devices such as residential routers. Given the optimal ways of integrating a protocol such as this into the kernel, and the issues of likening such as this in GPL code, I really wonder if the current IPR will be a major determent to deployment of ROLL. It's not easy to search the archives and I easily could have missed things but I can not find any significant discussion of it the WG could avoid this IPR. There were a few emails in July but it did not seem like it really hit this topic.  I would have expected to see discussion on such topics as David McGrews draft on Fundamental Elliptic Curve Cryptography Algorithms or perhaps using  RSA approaches.  I think discussion about this IPR, and ways it could be avoided, would be appropriate before approving this draft.

Cullen

On Aug 18, 2010, at 4:28 PM, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Routing Over Low power and Lossy
> networks WG (roll) to consider the following document:
> - 'RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks'
>  <draft-ietf-roll-rpl-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2010-09-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-rpl/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-rpl/
>

> The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
>
> /ipr/1270/
> /ipr/1356/
> /ipr/1366/

Cullen Jennings