Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Who cares?

William Shockley is considered by some to have 'founded' the modern field of electronics. Are we thus obliged to accept his bigoted and racist views on social issues?

I am pretty sure that my ancestors did not anticipate parliamentary democracy as they raped and pillaged their way from Northern Europe, through the low countries to France and finally defeating Harold II at Hastings.

The obsession with 'founders' intentions is a uniquely US obsession, and a largely self-deceiving one at that. Most nations were founded by the most obnoxious, bellicose and dastardly individuals imaginable.

Who gets to choose who is a 'founder' and who is not? Who gets to interpret them?

At least some of the people who were thinking about computer networking in the 1970s were thinking about a paid model.

In fact Ted Nelson invented the idea of hypertext because he was as obsessional on the subject copyright protection as RMS is but with entirely the opposite point of view.

Argumentum ad reveram. is tedious in the extreme. The Internet is not held together by magic, its workings are not secret. If there is an argument to be had as to how the future of the internet should evolve it should be made on the basis of what effects the policy and technical proposals on offer should have.

The one constant has been that the pace of technology development has been such that metered service has been unattractive from the 1970s through to the current day.

As an experiment, I am currently trying to see if I can exceed the Comcast 250 GB/month bandwidth cap. So far I have got up to 58%.

Now the suits who thought the bandwidth cap a good idea are probably still congratulating themselves over the savings. But I strongly suspect that within two years time they are going to be greatly regretting that decision. What they have done is to drive away their biggest consumers of bandwidth while building out an infrastructure designed to allow their customers to consume more and more bandwidth.