Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

Heh...

The TOS field was designed to mimic the DOD's message preemption scheme - lower priority messages were only sent if there were no higher priority messages waiting (a message in this case being more like an email than a packet).  Routine, Priority, Operational Immediate, Flash and Flash Override.  Flash Override messages ALWAYS won.

In 1988, the DDN Program Manager directed the DDN PMO staff to come up with a way of doing usage-based billing for the MILNET.

Neither of these schemes ever saw real-world implementation/use as far as I know.

Mike