Re: [certid] Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

On 9/9/10 1:36 PM, Stefan Santesson wrote:

> On 10-09-09 8:38 PM, "Shumon Huque" <shuque@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Earlier in RFC 4985, it says:
>>
>>    The SRVName, if present, MUST contain a service name and a domain
>>    name in the following form:
>>
>>       _Service.Name
>>
>>    The content of the components of this name form MUST be consistent
>>    with the corresponding definition of these components in an SRV RR
>>    according to RFC 2782
>>
>> I think this was actually clear enough. The subsequent statement that
>> Name is "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
>> is located." (which could mean any of a number of things) confused the
>> issue, and probably should not have been in the document.
>

> Agreed, but since it will be an errata, the text must be corrected.
>
> Do you agree with my proposal?
>
>     "The DNS domain name of a domain for which the certified subject
>      is authorized to provide the identified service."

Authorized by whom? I *think* that here the DNS domain name is one that
the certified subject has itself authorized (perhaps even "established"
is better) to provide the desired service. Therefore I suggest an
alternative wording:

     "A DNS domain name which the certified subject has
      authorized to provide the identified service."

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/