Re: [certid] Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 01:39:30AM +0200, Stefan Santesson wrote:

> I actually think we made an error in 4985 and that the domain name should be
> the domain that the service is authorized to represent.
>
> RFC 4985 is ambiguous here: the definition of the name form says:
>
>    "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
>     is located."
>
> This corresponds to #2 in your example
> While the description underneath the definition states:
>
>    "The purpose of the SRVName is limited to authorization of service
>     provision within a domain."
>
> Which corresponds to #1.
>
> I think there should be an errata correcting the definition to be:
>
>    "The DNS domain name of a domain for which the certified subject
>     is authorized to provide the identified service."
>
> As it is now, the RFC is ambiguous.

Earlier in RFC 4985, it says:

   The SRVName, if present, MUST contain a service name and a domain
   name in the following form:

      _Service.Name

   The content of the components of this name form MUST be consistent
   with the corresponding definition of these components in an SRV RR
   according to RFC 2782

I think this was actually clear enough. The subsequent statement that
Name is "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
is located." (which could mean any of a number of things) confused the
issue, and probably should not have been in the document.

--
Shumon Huque
University of Pennsylvania.