Re: Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

On 9/8/10 2:09 AM, t.petch wrote:
> [TP]inline

Aha, I see the source of confusion. I think the first sentence of
Section 5.1 is better written as follows:

   When the connecting application is an interactive client,
   construction of the reference identifier SHOULD be based on the
   source domain and service type provided by a human user (e.g. when
   specifying the server portion of the user's account name on the
   server or when explicitly configuring the client to connect to a
   particular host or URI as in [SIP-LOC]) and SHOULD NOT be based on a
   target domain derived from the user inputs in an automated fashion
   (e.g., a host name or domain name discovered through DNS resolution
   of the source domain).

We want to make sure that the reference identifier is based on the
source (user-provided) domain, not the target (automatically-derived)
domain, except perhaps in several well-defined and carefully-limited
scenarios.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre