Re: Is this true?

No, if IP to the edge had been the only idea in the Internet
architecture it would have been no different and no better than any of
the other networking schemes on offer at the time.

What made the Internet unique was the fact that it was the only
inter-network that was designed to play nice with other networks that
existed at the time. You could run DECNET or SNA or anything you chose
on your campus and still exchange mail with the rest of the world.

IP to the edge was a special case.

The technology we need to manage the IPv4 to IPv6 transition is
already in the Internet DNA. All it takes is to jettison the ideology
and accept that for at least the next twenty years we will be dealing
with heterogeneous networks, only this time they will be IPv4/IPv6
rather than IPv4/DECNET/OSI/SNA/CHAOS etc as was the case in the 80s
and early 90s.

The endpoints that matter are people.

Unless I am mistaken, people don't have IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

So no HMI protocol is ever IP clean end to end.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/