Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Olaf Kolkman" <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion list" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:33 PM

> On 30 aug 2010, at 21:57, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>
> > If you want to be fair to the individual participants you have to optimize
in such a way that attending 6 meetings costs the same for every individual that
regularly attends the IETF. Obviously one can only approximate that by putting
fairly large error bars on the costs but isn't the X-Y-Z distribution where X=
approx Y= approx Z  the closest optimum? (or finding one place that sucks
equally for everybody)

> > Am I missing something?
>
> Yes.
>
> Optimizing for min(X+Y+Z) WITH the constraint X=Y=Z is almost certainly going
to produce a higher X+Y+Z than without that constraint. In other words, if you
want to be fair the total expense for the entire community will be larger.

> Contrary to popular belief, distance is not the most important factor in
travel expenses. My flight from Madrid to Dublin cost almost what I paid to fly
from Amsterdam to Minneapolis a few years before. Hotel rates have a much bigger
impact, especially now that the official IETF hotels seem to be getting more
expensive every time we meet.

I agree about the distance.  I see America as the travel industry's equivalent
of the sociometric star, and would happily go for 6:0:0 since it is travel costs
that dictate my presence (usually absence:-(   By contrast, almost anywhere in
Europe is more expensive to get to (from the UK).

Tom Petch