Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:

> At 8:51 AM -0700 8/24/10, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>
>>  Let me get this straight.  You are going to go to China and you
>> are /not/ going to do ANY site-seeing?  If the answer is yes, I
>> think you have deeper problems than the visa...
>
> I disagree.  I'm not planning on any sight-seeing in China.  I prefer
> to do my sight-seeing in places where I can breathe.  I have no idea
> how common it is, but for personal travel (which I do a lot of) I
> only go to places with smoke-free restaurants.  More and more of the
> world is available under this criteria.

Neither am I. I might go sight-seeing in China some day, but not this week.

>>  If you are doing some site-seeing, you are a tourist.  Saying you
>> are a tourist is, therefore, not lying.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it depends on the
> primary purpose of the visit.  If it is a personal trip that I
> choose, then I am a tourist.  If my company sends me or I am
> attending a conference, then it is business.

I think even that is an understatement. There's tourism < business < work, and if you do even a tiny bit of the bigger item, you need that kind of visa. Don't believe me?  Try entering the US on a tourist visa, with the intention of doing mostly sightseeing, but also some selling IETF T-shirts on a street corner.