Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

As of March, when I applied for a business visa to China, as a US
citizen, applying to the San Francisco consulate, and using an agency,
I was not allowed to submit an invitation letter, even though I had
one in hand.

What was required was a support letter from my employer, stating that
they would bring me back home, and also stating the business visa
being asked for.  My letter asked for a multiple entry one year
business visa, and I got it.

That was March, this is now.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 07:54 -0400 "Richard L. Barnes"
> <rbarnes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I was required to provide such a letter for a visa to
>> Saudi Arabia earlier this year. So it's not without precedent.
>>
>> --Richard
>
>> On Aug 24, 2010, at 11:59 PM, Andrew Allen wrote:
>
>>> Mary
>>>
>>> It seems you now also need a support letter from your own
>>> company too.
>>>
>>> When I tried to get my business visa for China last year they
>>>  refused to process my application without such a support
>>> letter.   This was the first time I had been asked for such a
>>> letter.
>
> Several countries routinely require such endorsement letters.
> Some don't list them as a requirement, but the consulate has the
> right to ask for any additional materials it decides it needs
> before it processes an application... and some, routinely, do.
> To make things even more complicated, visa agencies don't like
> wasting their own time and so often impose requirements based on
> what they've been asked for in the past so that they only need
> to submit one package to the consulate.    So, if you are not
> going to hard-carry your application to the consulate and then
> pick the visa up yourself (and can't find a friend), you may see
> such requirements from whatever agency you hire to get the visa
> processed for you.
>
> Nothing above applies specifically to China; the comments apply
> more or less to any country that requires that visitors obtain
> visas in advance of arriving especially from countries that
> won't accept mailed-in applications.
>
> Let me give four bits of advice to anyone who has been lucky
> enough to always travel on visa waiver or visa-at-entry programs
> and hence hasn't been through this before:
>
> (1) It isn't about China.  We've met in Australia and, at the
> time, they required paper visas for travelers on US passports.
> In the competition to have the most difficult, and probably the
> most arbitrary, visa application and issuance process, the US is
> probably the hands-down winner.  Indeed, several countries have
> apparently imposed especially difficult requirements and/or high
> fees on via applicants who hold US passports in response to
> their perception of how the US treats their own citizens.
>
> (2) Another common requirement is that you actually have
> round-trip airline tickets purchased prior to making the visa
> application.  China doesn't appear to want that any more, but
> individual consulates probably have the right to insist and some
> visa agencies may do so.
>
> (3) If you have questions, ask the relevant consulate or, if you
> plan to use a visa agency, find an experienced one and ask them.
> If the visa agency won't handle an application from you without
> particular documentation, your belief (or some third party's
> belief) that you don't really need those documents will get you
> [...]

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)
SISA