Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

I think it may be important to better emphasis the difference between formal BoFs and informal promotional meetings. While Formal BoFs are not absolutely necessary for process purposes, they are usually a good idea to help the IAB and IESG judge interest.
Process-wise, these informal barBoFs have no meaning.
Also, while we have procedures for trying to ensure IAB members and relevant ADs attend BoFs, our leadership is NOT "expected" or required to attend these informal sessions. (I would almost suggest banning them from attending, except that once in a while they attend because the topic is interesting to them personally interested in the topic.) One person's note mentioned that som barBoFs complained because the relevant AD did not attend. I would almost declare an extra meeting delay in formation for any group that made such a complaint. We place plenty of demands on our leadership. This should not be one of them.

Yours,
Joel