Re: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

On 7/18/2010 8:27 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
Of course, if they notice that a dozen people working for the same company
send in such opinions about Dave, they may choose to ignore all opinions from
that group.

You may be right. This is looking more investigative than the NomCom can be
expected to do.

In two notes, I think you guys have replicated some weeks of our discussion.

We wandered pretty widely, looking for ways to discover and control all sorts of politicking, very precisely. In the end, we reached the same conclusion about effort and difficulties that you did. (We even got to the point of distinguishing competent politicking from incompetent, essentially distinguishing between cumbersome and blatant politicking from possibly subtle and clever forms.) In particular, I think the deciding factor in our discussions was refraining from adding a burden of more effort to Nomcom.

That's why this recommendation is quite basic, rather than trying to be precise and definitive.

As engineers, we like to prescribe behaviors. For this realm, the best we can reasonably do is simply to make the concerns and expectations crystal clear, with guidance about the repercussions.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking