Re: IETF privacy policy - update

I'm not really keen on getting involved in this discussion any more
than I have been, but I can't help noting one thing:

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:50:58PM +0100, John Morris wrote:

> 2.  We have many examples of leading banks, stores, and others
> mishandling credit card and other records, so unless the IETF has come
> up with some secret security sauce to eliminate all possibility of a
> human or technical screwup with personal info, there is clear risk that
> the IETF could mishandle data and be at the wrong end of a litigation.

Given that practically every such leading back and store and so on had
a rich, long, detailed, hard to read privacy policy, I fail completely
to see how the having of a policy provides any value at all to the
IETF in such cases.  In the case of companies and so on, it has a
value, because firing people for violating the policy is the sort of
consequence that employers can use.  But the IETF isn't like that.  It
isn't even a legal entity.  So it doesn't have anyone to fire, &c.

As I've said before, I can see arguments in both directions on this
topic.  But I don't think it does us any good to keep saying,
"Everyone else has one."  Everyone else is also incorporated.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.