Re: Comments on <draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt>

On 7/15/2010 9:42 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
In principle, I'm in favor of having a published privacy policy.
   < extended repetition of based goals elided >
IMO, those are the types of issues we should be discussing and
that several people on the list have been discussing.
Hyperbole, wild extrapolations, assumptions that network
research (even if it were occurring) was actually research on
human subjects, unfounded accusations about bad behavior or
hidden conspiracies, etc., don't further that discussion.

Anyone who has dealt with a human subjects review panels would wish to be as dismissive of them as you are. But it's a serious topic and I offered it seriously. Perhaps the scope of the IETF's privacy work does not need to include it. But perhaps it does. The discussion was raising areas of concern. I offered one more.

That you might believe it doesn't fall within scope is fine, although I'll suggest that such an opinion is always strengthened when accompanied by considered reasons, rather than being facilely to lump them in with red-flag labels like hyperbole. (If you wish to address thread activity involving those red-flag behaviors, please direct your mail to your buddy.)

That anyone would be so mechanically dismissive of this issue underscores the challenges of discussing privacy in this community.

I explained why I thought the issue was worth considering along with the rest of the concerns about privacy. I didn't generate the reference to doing research and I didn't generate the reference to unauthorized disclosure of personal data.

So please do feel free to respond with relevant substance rather than a quick hand wave.

    It is also
relevant that what was disclosed, if I recall, were passwords.
Not password-user pairs or anything else that would constitute
what is normally considered personally identifiable information.

OK.  And none of those passwords were sufficient to identify their owner, right?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking