Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-group-counter-modes

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your review.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:55 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:

This is a secdir review of the above draft.

The text looks fine. However, I'm concerned that this specification does
not provide sufficient detail for interoperable implementation.  It
makes it clear that a GKMS needs to allocate SIDs but does not cite any
mechanism for a GKMS to do so.

I think you need to either add a normative reference to a hopefully
already existing description of how to distribute this parameter, or
recast this document as an informational document describing a general
method but not implementing a protocol.

There is an I-D for one GKMS (draft-ietf-msec-gdoi-update-06) that includes support for SIDs which could be referenced. It is expected to head to WGLC soon. Would citing that document address your concern?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Weis
Security Standards and Technology, ARTG, Cisco Systems
Telephone: +1 408 526 4796
Email: bew@xxxxxxxxx