Re: What does a privacy policy mean ?

 On 7/7/2010 8:46 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> Again, wearing no hats.
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 11:51 PM, John Levine wrote:
>
>> I think we all agree that having a privacy policy would be desirable,
>> in the sense that we are in favor of good, and opposed to evil.  But I
>> don't know what it means to implement a privacy policy, and I don't
>> think anyone else does either.
>>
>> A privacy policy is basically a set of assertions about what the IETF
>> will do with your personal information.  To invent a strawman, let's
>> say that the privacy policy says that registration information will be
>> kept in confidence, and some newly hired clerk who's a little unclear
>> on the concept gives a list of registrants' e-mail addresses to a
>> conference sponsor so they can e-mail everyone an offer for a free
>> IETF tee shirt.
>
> A privacy policy should set internal guidelines. In your example,
> well, we don't have clerks,
> and those email addresses are already public, but a request (say) from
> a sponsor for
> attendee information would flow from the Secretariat to the IAD and
> then maybee (depending
> on the IAD's evaluation of it) to the IAOC. At some point in that
> chain, someone (probably the IAD) should
> evaluate it for its privacy implications. Having a privacy policy in
> places makes that more likely and gives the evaluator something to
> evaluate it against.

Actually if the Attendee is sponsored by the sponsor in question then
the attendee is their Work-For-Hire resource and so they (the Sponsor)
have full legal rights to that attendance and participation information
from NOTEWELL operations.

>> Then what happens?
>
> In your example, if an employee did something on their own that
> clearly violated the privacy policy, I would expect that at a minimum
> to be featured in their next performance review, and it might be a
> firing offense in a very egregious case.

Actually the Sponsor is responsible for their sponsored's actions no
matter what they do...

> Apologies to the offended parties and / or to the community might also
> be in order, as also might be mitigation (depending on just what the
> violation was).

you mean Litigation right?

Todd