RE: draft-douglass-timezone-xml-00 & Presence

Hi Glen,

--On July 7, 2010 10:45:23 AM +0700 Glen Zorn <gwz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How is this unique wrt to what Presence has provided in XML for 4-6
> years? A comparison is at least preferable to what already exists for
> timezones in XML, IMO.

Can you provide a specific reference to what you are referring to?

For example, see http://www.w3.org/TR/timezone/.

Our draft is not about how you represent timezone (UTC offsets) in date-time values (which is mostly what that w3.org reference talks about).

Our draft is about representing timezone definitions (standard time offsets, daylight saving time rules, how they varying over time, etc) in XML. This is akin to iCalendar's VTIMEZONE data or zoneinfo data found on Unix systems (and in a more "raw" form the Olson timezone database). One of the primary goals for this is to support exchange of timezone definitions between system via a timezone service protocol (draft-douglass-timezone-service - another draft we submitted a short while ago).

I believe this is clear in our draft, though admittedly the abstract may not convey that in as much detail as it should (and I will endeavor to beef up the abstract to clarify this).

--
Cyrus Daboo