Re: motivations (was: Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00)

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> The fact remains that RFC 821 has the STANDARD imprimatur and the better
> specification that was intended to replace it does not.
>
> It seems pretty basic to me that when you declare a document Obsolete it
> should lose its STANDARD status. But under the current system that does not
> happen.
>
> This situation has gone on now for 15 years. Why would anyone bother to put
> time an effort into progressing documents along the three step track when
> most of the documents at the highest rank are actually obsolete?
>
> What does STANDARD actually mean if the document it refers to is quite
> likely obsolete?

To me it looks like "Obsolete: XXXX" has been used with quite different
meanings across RFCs, and some current uses might be inappropriate.

Although it's been more than two decades that I read rfc821 (and
none of the successors), I assume that all those RFC describe _the_same_
protocol (SMTP) and not backwards-incompatible revisions of a protocol
family (SMTPv1,v2,v3).  I also would assume that you could implement an
MTA with rfc2821 alone (i.e. without ever reading rfc821), that is still
fully interoperable with an implementation of rfc821.  So for a large
part we are looking at a revised specification of the same single protocol,
and the term "obsoletes" should indicate that you can create an
implementation of the protocol based solely on a newer version of the
specification describing it and remain fully interoperable with an
implementation of the old spec when (at least when using the mandatory
to implement plus non-controversial recommended protocol features).

For RFCs that create backwards-incompatible protocol revisions, and
in particular when you still need the old specification to implement
the older protocol revision, there is *NO* obsoletion of the old
protocol by publication of the new protocol.  Examples where this
was done correctly:  IPv4&IPv6, LDAPv2&LDAPv3, HTTPv1.0&HTTPv1.1.

A sensible approach to obsolete a previous protocol version is to
reclassify it as historic when the actual usage in the real world
drops to insignificant levels and describe&publish that move in an
informational RFC (I assume that is the intent of rfc-3494).

Examples of clearly inappropriate "Obsoletes: XXXX" are the
TLS protocol revisions (v1.1:rfc-4346 and v1.2:rfc-5246) which describe
backward-incompatible protocol revisions of TLS and where the new RFCs
specify only the behaviour of the new protocol version and even
fail to clearly identify the backwards-incompatible changes.

And if you look at the actual use of TLS protocol versions in the
wild, the vast majority is using TLSv1.0, there is a limited use
of TLSv1.1 and very close to no support for TLSv1.2.

(examples https://www.ssllabs.com/ssldb/index.html
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg06432.html

What irritates me slightly is that I see this announcement
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=935&k2=34176&tid=1277751536

which is more of a bashing of existing and widely used versions
of SSLv3 and TLS, instead of an effort to improve _one_ of the
existing TLS protocol revisions and to advance it on the standards
maturity level and make it more easily acceptable to the marketplace.

Adding explicit indicators for backwards-incompatible protocol changes
in rfc-5246 might considerably facilitate the assessment just how much
changes are necessary to an implementation of a predecessor version
of TLSv1.2.  Btw. 7.4.1.4.1 Signature Algorithms extension appears
to be a big mess and fixing it wouldn't hurt.

MUST requirements in spec ought to be strictly limited to features
that are absolutely necessary for interoperability _and_ for the
existing market, not just nice to have at some time in the future.
The only TLS extension that deserves a MUST is described
in rfc-5746 (TLS extension RI).

One of the reasons why some working groups recycling protocol
revisions on proposed rather advancing a widely deployed protocol
to draft is the "the better is the enemy of the good".

-Martin