RE: Protocol for TCP heartbeats?

You could do packet captures with wireshark.  I would off load it if you are trying to research on a production machine though.  I think that you can do a defined capture just for TCP keepalives.  Cisco is a span-port command if you want to see from source to destination and reverse.

Just a thought
Chadwick