Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> What I've never understood is why (almost) everyone tries addresses in
> sequence instead of in parallel.
>
> Even applications that routinely open two or more concurrent connections
> to the server first try IPvX, then wait many seconds, then try IPvY. Why
> not try both in parallel and use whatever address answers first?

Maybe because it would be a big waste of network bandwidth and close
to a Denial of Service (DoS) attack if every client would try every
IPv4 and IPv6 address in parallel that it can get hold of for a hostname.

Similarly, it could require a major redesign of lots of applications
in order to be able to manage several parallel requests
-- multi-threaded with blocking DNS-lookups and blocking connect()s
or parallel asynchronous/non-blocking DNS-lookups and connect()s.

I was hit by a funny Bug in Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 in 1993 when using
asynchronous connect()s for the first time.  After the connection
timeout (60 seconds) I would still get an event delivered with
the original socket number -- even if I had long closed that
connect-pending socket and been reassigned the same socket number
on the next socket() call from the OS.

-Martin