Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

On 1 Jun 2010, at 18:19, ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> As I've stated previously, I believe the main piece that's missing is a
> SOHO-grade router that has full IPv6 support, 6to4 support, full
> IPv4/NAT/firewall support, plus a readonably intuitive GUI to administer it
> all. If such a product exists I continue to be unaware of it.

I agree.

With the exception (grrrr) of a non-configurable packet filter (besides the NAT function and per-port-based IPv6), Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule do IPv6 very nearly out of the box (it was disabled by default because a load of "Security researchers" took issue with exposing computers to the IPv6 Internet by default).  In about ten clicks, and assuming your Internet connection is provided by ethernet to a global IPv4 address, these base stations will set up and advertise a 6to4 routed block for your network, and handle transparent v4/v6 DNS from one proxy.  They're supposed to be able to handle custom tunnels, but bugs prevent it from working; it also works as a native router, a host on an existing v6 network, and link-local for configuration (no more slipping/forgotten netmasks).

So all in all, I'm quite pleased with them, and they're the reason I decided IPv6 was no longer hard for anybody.  No doubt there are others out there, or should be (IE, from ISPs) and of course there's Teredo or custom protocols if you want to stay behind an existing legacy NAT.  And of course, if you want to, you can build your own with a Linux box, though I agree that sort of misses the deployability aspect, and is more toward the enthusiast, though that's how my original setup went for my DSL provider.

Cheers,
Sabahattin