Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

>> The problem can be solved by carefully designing connection
>> establishment protocols to support multiple addresses of a
>> host, which means no solution exists at the connectionless
>> layer of IP.

>> Modified TCP, which send multiple SYN to several addresses
>> of a peer helps a lot to reduce timeout.

> I am pretty sure we can fix the problem if we are prepared to adapt
> the stack somewhat.

FYI, modified socket API and TCP with multiple IPv4 and/or IPv6
(optionally with ID/locator separation) addresses was designed
and implemented several years ago.

It's not very hard unless you desperately try to solve the problem
at the connectionless IP layer.

But, I see no point to insist on IPv6 with a lot of wrong design
choices.

> The alternative is to do nothing and let various people hack the stack
> up completely with meat axes and then we will be working round the
> consequences for decades.

The alternative is to live with IPv4 with port restriction, which
is a lot more realistic because we can continue to use the
current backbone.

> But really, the challenge is that carrier grade NAT works just fine
> for the ISPs who have the decision making power here.

While legacy NAT is a form of port restricted IP, lack of end to
end transparency is still a problem.

						Masataka Ohta