Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-csi-send-name-type-registry (SEND Name Type field Registry) to Proposed Standard

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your comments, please see my response inline.

Regards,

Roque

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Sean Turner <turners@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The IESG wrote:
>>
>> The IESG has received a request from the Cga & Send maIntenance WG (csi)
>> to consider the following document:
>>
>> - 'SEND Name Type field Registry '
>>   <draft-ietf-csi-send-name-type-registry-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2010-05-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
>> sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
>> of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>>
>> The file can be obtained via
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-csi-send-name-type-registry-03.txt
>
> Just a couple of comments:
>
> #1) The introductions says:
>
>  In [I-D.ietf-csi-send-cert] the certificate profile described
>  in [I-D.ietf-sidr-res-certs] is adopted for SEND.  In these
>  documents, the Subject field in the certificates are declared
>  to be meaningless and the subjectAltName field is not allowed.
>  On the other hand, the Subject Key Identifier (SKI) extension
>  for the X.509 certificates is defined as mandatory and
>  non-critical.
>
> Where does it says that the subjectAltName is not allowed in the profiles?
>  I see in [I-D.ietf-sidr-res-certs] that the extension is not allowed in a
> certificate request, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the CA won't
> include it.  RFC 3971 also seems to indicate that subjectAltName is
> supported (see Sec 6.4.5).  It's possible I just missed it.

(Roque)
I must say that the reference is a little bit tricky. Section 3.5 of
the [I-D.ietf-sidr-res-certs] document refers to section 2.2 of the
document:draft-ietf-sidr-arch-09. As the arch document is
informational, the clearest normative reference is in the CP document
(draft-ietf-sidr-cp-08), where in section 3.1.1  it is stated that:

  "The distinguished name for every CA and end entity consists of a
   single Common Name (CN) attribute with a value generated by the
   issuer of the certificate. Optionally, the serialNumber attribute
   may be included along with the common name (to form a terminal
   relative distinguished name set), to distinguish among successive
   instances of certificates associated with the same entity."

> #2) Abstract: r/This document request to IANA the creation and management of
> a registry for this field.  This document also specifies a new Name Type
> field based on a certificate Subject Key Identifier (SKI)./This document
> requests that IANA create and maintain a registry for this field.  This
> document also specifies a new Name Type field based on a certificate Subject
> Key Identifier (SKI).

(Roque) ok. thanks.

> #3) Sec 2: r/This document request to IANA the creation and management of a
> registry for this field./This document requests that IANA create and
> maintain a registry for this field.

(Roque) ok. thanks.

> #4) Sec 2: Add the following to the final paragraph:
>
> Consequently, this document updates section 6.4.3 and 6.4.5 of [RFC3971].

(Roque) ok. thanks.

> #5) Sec 3: I was kind of expecting to see something like the following (so
> it looks a lot like RFC 3971 and you don't have to repeat what's in RFC
> 3971):
>
> 3.   SEND SKI trust anchor option Name Type field
>
> 3.1 Updates to 6.4.3 of RFC 3971
>
>  Add the following under Name Type:
>
>    3 SHA-1 Subject Key Identifier (SKI)
>
>  Add the following under Name:
>
>    When the Name Type field is set to 3, the Name field contains a
>    160-bit SHA-1 hash of the value of the DER-encoded ASN.1 bit
>    string of the subject public key, as described in Section
>    4.2.1.2 of [RFC5280].
>
> 3.2 Updates to 6.4.5 of RFC 3971
>
>  Add the following to the penultimate paragraph as the penultimate
>  sentence:
>
>  If the TA option is represented as a SHA-1 SKI, then the SKI must
>  be equal to the SKI extension in the trust anchor's certificate
>  calculated as described in [draft-ietf-sidr-res-certs-17].

(Roque) I like what you are proposing, I received the request to add
other hashes to the registry, so I will take your text as a base.

> #6) Sec 3: You point to both RFC 5280 and sidr-res-certs for how to compute
> the SKI. Shouldn't you just be point to one (i.e., sid-res-certs)?  That is
> r/Section 4.2.1.2 of [RFC5280]/[draft-ietf-sidr-res-certs-17]

(Roque) ok.

> #7) Sec 3.1 (or wherever it ends up): r/then the SKI must be equal/then the
> SKI MUST be equal

(Roque) ok.

> spt
>
> P.S. As with draft-ietf-csi-send-cert, [I-D.ietf-sidr-res-certs] is expired.

(Roque) true, hope that it will be updated shortly.