Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

On May 14, 2010, at 12:48 PM, The IESG wrote:

> This is an update to the Last Call that is currently in progress.
>
> The IESG is considering the following Statement on the Day Pass
> Experiment.  The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks on
> this statement, and the IESG actively solicits comments on this
> statement.  Please send substantive comments to the ietf@xxxxxxxx
> mailing lists by 2010-05-20. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to
> iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
> the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

I support the IESG statement below.
In particular, I note that this statement is specifically regarding the NOMCOM volunteer eligibility for meeting participants with day-pass registrations; it's not about participants with student status.
I believe student participants should continue to follow the current rule regarding their NOMCOM volunteer eligibility.

Lixia

PS: Full disclosure: I was a graduate student in my first few years of IETF meetings.

PPS: My understanding is that, as of now, IETF meetings have very small number of student participants (Ray can correct me here if I get it wrong).  If this number ever goes up significantly, it may deserve a reconsideration.