Re: Last Call: draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts (File Transfer Protocol HOST Command) to Proposed Standard

> --On Monday, 12 April, 2010 12:44 -0700 The IESG
> <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter
>> to consider  the following document:
>>
>> - 'File Transfer Protocol HOST Command '
>>    <draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts-11.txt> as a Proposed
>> Standard

I agree with John Klensin's comments, and especially want to call out this part:

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:22 AM, John C Klensin <klensin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Those decisions should not -- cannot -- be
> made by processing one command extension at a time, with each
> one reflecting the taste and assumptions of its authors in
> different ways.
>
> It seems to me that we need a WG or some other mechanism for
> establishing and determining community consensus around basic
> design principles for FTP extensions.  If the IESG then wants
> to process individual extensions as individual submissions,
> that would be fine, but let's first at least establish a
> framework for evaluating them.

It would be a mistake to build a further array of individual,
uncoordinated extensions to FTP.  As with the establishment of the
imapext, sieve, and morg working groups, when the IETF has seen a
collection or succession of proposals aimed at extending a protocol,
it has opted to charter a working group to coordinate those proposals,
winnow them, and establish community consensus on which to
standardize, and how.

It should do that here, as well.

Barry Leiba