Re: What day is 2010-01-02

YAO Jiankang <yaojk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "HUANG, JERRY (ATTLABS)" <zh1424@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >What I am not so sure about is the sweeping statement that Americans
> >would likely have difficulties with the 'yyyy-mm-dd' format. I walked
> >around the office and polled seven of my co-workers who happen to be
> >around (all engineers by trade, five 'natives'), all seven (eight
> >including me) _know_ what it means.
>
> Good test. but you tested it only in your office which, I think , is located in USA.
> So the conclusion derived from your office test may apply only to most offices in USA.
>
> Have you tested it in U.K., France, ASIA countries such as Japan,
> China of different culture and background?

He was specifically reacting to the statement that *Americans* would
be more likely to have difficulties with this format.  I found that
claim strange myself, since I live in the US and I've never met anyone
who has difficulties with that format.

[ I believe that China uses YYYY-MM-DD anyway, and Wikipedia agrees:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_by_country#Greater_China
]

"HUANG, JERRY (ATTLABS)" <zh1424@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps this really is a non-issue after all?

That's about what I said in my other email on this thread: Other than
the email that started this thread, which mentioned a single
individual who found 2010-01-02 ambiguous, I have *NEVER* heard of
anyone finding that format ambiguous.  As I said in that email, I
think we'd need some evidence that there's an actual problem before
it'd be worth discussion a solution.  As far as I can tell, there's
no such evidence, and no problem here.
  -- Cos